[Development] The place of QML

Quim Gil quim.gil at nokia.com
Thu May 17 17:03:52 CEST 2012

This has been said before, but for the sake of clarity:

On 05/17/2012 05:42 AM, ext Иван Комиссаров wrote:
> i do have lot of code
> based on QWidgets. And that code works. So, you suggest me to thow
> away all code i've made, because QWidgets have bad design?

No, we suggest you to run that code with Qt 5 and let us know if you
found any problem.

> I want to have my code working from now and forever (while qt lives).

Isn't this the current situation? DONE != DEPRECATED

> Alternate technologies are good while i can mix technologies (Qt
> Creator's start screen is a good example). I want to use beautiful,
> custom QML interface for contact list/chat window of my (hypotetical)
> IM Messenger, but i'd still prefer to use plain QWidget's for it's
> preferences windows and dialogs.

You can do exactly this if you wish, isn't it.

> You're trying to tell me that i have
> to use QML everywhere. I don't like that.

What the Qt Project is saying through its releases is that Qt Quick will
be available in any Qt enabled platform, while the inclusion of Qt
Widget is up to the maintainers of each platform (or up to application
developers if they want / can bring the module through dependencies).

For all I could read from Lars and other maintainers, but they are
saying is that Qt Widgets should work, Qt Quick is the present for
mobile and possible the future for everybody, and it is up to you to
decide when or how you want to jump - if you ever need to.

--
Quim