[Development] qtphonon's status.

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Fri May 18 13:27:23 CEST 2012

On Friday, May 18, 2012 10:43:18 you wrote:
> Right, no attention from us and no attention from the phonon developers, at
> least with respect for Qt 5 end-users. So, by it receiving 'attention' from
> us now by simply removing the old "fork"  from the repo, it would only hurt
> the end-user, making it harder for them to migrate over to Qt 5.

Already some won't be able to migrate to 5.0. Some will need to wait anyway
for various reasons (eg X11 stuff). Waiting for phonon too isn't a big deal.

> No, two phonons is a terrible idea :) However, it's the better of two evils,
> were we currently have no migration path from Qt 4 phonon users to the
> current upstream. Thus, keeping 'compatibility' by keeping the old phonon
> around is better for the end-user IMO. Expert users can still nuke the
> qt5.git one, and compile the upstream.

Expert users can get the qtphonon.git themselves and use that. For everyone
else, there's upstream, and that's the future anyway, whether they ever
migrate to qt-project or not.

Thanks,

--
Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com> | Software Engineer