[Development] The place of QML

Donald Carr sirspudd at gmail.com
Fri May 18 23:47:53 CEST 2012

Hey,

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 3:40 AM, Иван Комиссаров <abbapoh at gmail.com> wrote:
> And what about KDE? It is all based on QWidgets. And it took them many years
> to make stable release for KDE 4 (KDE 4.4 was the first release i could
> use). You want them to reimplement whole KDE using QML?

I thought the KDE dudes were already testing it against Qt 5. Anyone
on this list in a position to comment as to the current state of
things?

In any case, KDE 5 should clearly not re-invent the wheel, and Qt 4 ->
Qt 5 and not the same as Qt 3 -> Qt 4, which is the fear this kind of
mail evokes.

Many KDE apps will continue to be widget based, some might migrate to
QML if it is appropriate, or proves to be the correct technology in
the coming years. Of course, desktop components when they land will
push QML increasingly into the zone of widgets in the grand Venn
diagram.

Cheers,
Donald

--
 °v°  Donald Carr

Cave canem, te necet lingendo
Chasing my own tail; hate to see me leave, love to watch me go