[Development] UDS feedback

Girish Ramakrishnan girish at forwardbias.in
Mon May 21 17:27:37 CEST 2012

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> On sábado, 12 de maio de 2012 12.13.09, Girish Ramakrishnan wrote:
>> 5. QPA plugins + packaging: One can install the wayland and xcb plugin
>> simultaneously. We need a mechanism to switch the QPA plugin globally
>> for all apps. One can use environment variables right now, but maybe
>> we should also pick up from qt.conf (if it doesn't already) ?
>
> I don't see the problem with an environment variable.
>
> I think the most important part is that we actually have a reasonable, auto-
> detected default. If the application is run under Wayland, it loads the
> Wayland plugin.

Currently, our default on each platform is hardcoded.
Windows - "windows"
Linux - "xcb"
Mac - "cocoa"

The default can be changed by passing -qpa wayland to configure. IOW,
the default is built into the qtgui binary. There is no runtime
detection of default.

The use case where the env variable doesn't work well is: User is
running qt/xcb today. User installs qt/wayland plugin to test wayland
support. I guess the distro package has to then modify /etc/environ or
something? Is there a better way environment variables can be set (and
better just for Qt apps).

I don't really have a solution. (qt.conf seems an OK solution)

Girish