[Development] UDS feedback

Lincoln Ramsay lincoln.ramsay at nokia.com
Tue May 22 01:39:18 CEST 2012

On 05/22/2012 01:27 AM, ext Girish Ramakrishnan wrote:
>> I think the most important part is that we actually have a reasonable, auto-
>> detected default. If the application is run under Wayland, it loads the
>> Wayland plugin.
>
> Currently, our default on each platform is hardcoded.
> Windows - "windows"
> Linux - "xcb"
> Mac - "cocoa"
>
> The default can be changed by passing -qpa wayland to configure. IOW,
> the default is built into the qtgui binary. There is no runtime
> detection of default.
>
> The use case where the env variable doesn't work well is: User is
> running qt/xcb today. User installs qt/wayland plugin to test wayland
> support. I guess the distro package has to then modify /etc/environ or
> something? Is there a better way environment variables can be set (and
> better just for Qt apps).
>
> I don't really have a solution. (qt.conf seems an OK solution)

This bug was created some time ago to bring order to the platform plugin
problem. It proposes configure arguments for selecting the platform
plugins to build as well as a way to select the default platform plugin
to use.

If there's a way to detect the environment you're running under that
would be even better than a compiled-in default.

Lincoln Ramsay - Senior Software Engineer
Qt Development Frameworks, Nokia - http://qt.nokia.com/