[Development] Documentation Extras (Was: On QML, ownership, QObject-trees and QSharedPointer)

christopher.adams at nokia.com christopher.adams at nokia.com
Mon May 28 02:46:14 CEST 2012

Hi Sivan,

> Hi All,
>
>  Following the rather interesting discussion that started by Rene[0] , I've
> summarized the bits I believed to be important for others seeking the same
> information as he did, and put it on the wiki[1]. I've also created a new
> category on the wiki main page, dubbed as 'Documentation Extra'.
>
>  I think this sort of brief, conclusion and instruction only docs might be exactly
> what those developers who cannot allow themselves hours of reading and
> are in midst of implementation, seek. If we accumulate those based on
> mailing list discussion as in this example, we'd have a solid base to augment
> and perfect the docs with, a'la  "In the hurry" style.
>
>  Christopher, Kent: Could you kindly please review my summary to make
> sure is indeed correct, particularly- note which of the listed here[2] are
> indeed only available in QtQuick2 part of Qt5?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> -Sivan
>

> [0]: http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2012-
> May/004049.html
> [1]: http://qt-project.org/wiki/SharedPointersAndQmlOwnership
> [2] http://qt-project.org/wiki/property-var

It mostly looks fine to me.  The JS Object to / from QVariantMap conversion isn't new to QtQuick 2.0, and QList<int> was supported in QtQuick 1.0 (but in a much slower form).  But in general the summary is correct, I believe.  However, as mentioned in my initial response to Rene, we are overhauling the documentation at the moment, so hopefully it manages to capture all of the required information in a simple and accessible manner.  Wiki pages have a tendency to grow stale, unfortunately.

Cheers,
Chris.