[Development] (Harmattan) Qt Quick Components & Qt 5

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Thu May 31 10:47:23 CEST 2012

> Please re-use the existing port of Qt Quick Components to Qt 5 before starting
> a new effort.

It is nice to have a branch, but why QtQuick 1.1 usages all around ?

[...]
> Without such a mode a backgrounded application continues to consume a lot of
> GPU resources that won't be accessible for other apps - slowing down the
> entire device.

Your advice makes sense to me.

People have further doubts about Qt5 on Harmattan in general:

1) Is it swifter to launch a qtquick2 qml application than a qtquick1
qml application ? Unfortunately, qml applications have been way slower
than the equivalent MTF applications in the past.

2) What about the Application Store history ?

Ovi: Applications could become a bit bigger than expected with
involving the dependencies how we did with KDE back then. The
necessitas developers established something, that might be worth
investigating.

Apps4MeeGo: The dependency feature has not still been enabled.

As for playing around, and no application store distribution, it might
well be working, but it would be nice to take further steps in the
(near?) future towards more centralized distributings.

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp