[Development] Status of WP8 port

Charley Bay charleyb123 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 01:36:57 CET 2012

Tuukka spaketh:
> What comes to WP8 we believe it is more important to tackle Android and iOS
> first, as discussed earlier. It does not mean we do not care about WP8.
> There is just so much more user base in Android and iOS that we think it
> would be outright stupid not to address those.

+1

As a commercial customer, we're keeping an "eye" on WP8, but Android
and iOS have already demonstrated strong demand by our users.  We're
very interested in those going to "Tier 1", and we expect it to be
very positive for the Qt community as-a-whole.

Further, it looks like WP8 really requires MSVS2012, and we have it
in-house in "evaluation-mode" (e.g., porting code, qualifying it for
our needs).  IMHO it's very understandable why some people don't/can't
adopt the new tool-chain within a few weeks of its release, and may
wait for "Service Pack 1" before trusting it for production use.

Given all the "news" about Win8/WP8, it makes sense to start looking
at it, and (of course) with all the "Microsoft-go-native" it makes
sense that Qt would straddle all those platforms.  But, the
"here-and-now-real-world-demands" seem to suggest a very obvious
allocation-of-scarce-resources to established platforms while the
Win8/WP8 tool chain "shakes-out" and the market-adoption (user-demand)
is better understood.

@Davide, honest questions (we're looking at these too):

  - Would you intend development for WP8 on anything other than
MSVS2012?  (It was only released a month ago, when will you be ready
to trust it for production use?)

 - Are you intending on targeting WP8 exclusively (not Android nor
iOS)?  (Is that driven by your market segment, customer demands, or
are you only ready to support a single target platform?)

I'm interested in these answers, as these has been active discussions
for us lately.

Thanks!

--charley