[Development] Removing Wacom support in Qt5

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Sat Sep 8 18:52:41 CEST 2012

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Ariel Molina <ariel at edis.mx> wrote:

> > What do you mean by "qmlpuppet"?
> is the pupeteer that enables the QtC Quick designer.

I am sorry for putting it this way, but QtCreator is not a good enough
reason to remove this from Qt as said before.

> > As Boudewijn said, it is not so costy to get a device. I hope Digia or
> > someone else can stand up to get this supported officially for those
> > situations where it does not work.
> We all know, but none wants to step in, i can guess the reason. Digia
> stepped in and provided some patches patch, but a hack is not a
> solution.

Hack is a temporary solution. You cannot always fix everything nicely and
instantly. If I had this approach while packaging Qt5 for instance, we
would not have a Qt5 beta 1 out there for Harmattan as we do. Moreover,
there are workarounds here and there in the Qt codebase in general for
overcoming certain limitations at the very moment.

>  >> 4) Few % of Qt apps are in fact targeting Wacom
> >> 5) Nobody cares about Wacom anyway, or the bug should be solved by now
> >> (some bugs are 2+ years old)
> >
> > We do care, but it just worked for us.
>
> I have never touched a Wacom, nor I know how to use one, but when
> tracing the bug, i just installed the Wacom driver in my Windows
> Laptop, and voila, instant bugs in QtC Quick designer, the qmlpuppet
> and our apps.

Please go ahead and report all the bugs, if you have time and ambition for
that since a nice contribution anyways. :-)

But i could help trace more into the issue, what hardware, driver and
> general setup is yours?

It was a very expensive roughbook for about 2500-3000 EUR. Most likely, you
do not have such a hardware. Also, since it is a commercial project covered
by all those agreements, I am sure I cannot talk about more. I am sorry for
that.

Laszlo