[Development] Proposing reversal of the Math3D qreal->float change

marco.bubke at nokia.com marco.bubke at nokia.com
Thu Sep 13 10:27:43 CEST 2012

No, it changed the expectations. People develop with qreal as double, and than magic things happen on ARM. My proposal is, that we change most interfaces to double, there it really costs, we switch to float.

Otherwise we break our interfaces. For example, a application is saving world coordiantes in qreal(QPointF), this is fine with qreal as double, but you get in trouble if qreal is float(I was told so). So, this application can only run cross platform, if we stick to our interface and don't change it magically. Maybe we should introduce Q*F and Q*D like QRectF and QRectD? But the first step would be in my opinion the removal of qreal. It should be really KISS!