[Development] Git commit hook keywords

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Sun Sep 16 11:34:32 CEST 2012

> In any case, this is why we have reviewers: so they can teach newcomers
> what
> the policies are and how we do things. There will never be documentation
> for
> every single little thing, there's a lot that is latent knowledge.

Why would they teach if the newcomers knew after reading the documentation?
The point of documentation is to share the knowledge (i.e. like this one),
isn't it? If nobody does, I will do this later then.

> As I said, it's the "Task-number" that triggers the completion in the
> Gerrit
> UI.

How will the "Task-number" entry know whether to jump to Gerrit or Jira? We
need a distinction here because they are separate sources for information.

> But that doesn't explain what QTREVIEW is, why it's misspelt and and why we
> don't need the same for other classes.

It is not misspelt. I intentionally wrote QT_REVIEW_ according to the
QT_BUG_ schema. Like I wrote, it could be a better like QTCODEREVIEW or so.
I was just presenting the idea.

>  > People now keep pasting the hard coded link in such situations as far
> as I
> > see which is not clickable right away and hard coded. It would be nice
> if I
> > could write something like "Review-number: QTREVIEW-31541" or something
> > like that.
>
> Paste the permalink of the Gerrit review or the Change-Id, or the bug ID
> with
> "Task-number: " prepended, or a link to the mailing list archives. It
> doesn't
> need to be a link anyway, just an identifier we can look up.

Except that, it would be nice to have the entry clickable which redirects
instantly to the gerrit change without any further investigation. Like I
said, just like how it happens in case the QTBUG entry.

Laszlo