[Development] Urgent gerrit change for 5.1: closing the Qt Quick feature gap on the desktop

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at digia.com
Mon Apr 1 21:43:29 CEST 2013

On 4/1/13 5:05 PM, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

>On segunda-feira, 1 de abril de 2013 13.22.57, Tvete Paul wrote:
>> The missing feature, which was regrettably not picked up during the
>> Components API review, has been part of Qt from the very beginning. To
>> underline its importance, consider that it was added to Qt before
>> fonts and text rendering.  I have therefore submitted the new
>> component to gerrit, and hope the CI system will not cause
>> too many problems. https://codereview.qt-project.org/52659
>
>Hi Paul
>
>Haven't you got the story mixed up? I know you were there in those days,
>but
>from what I've been told, the LCD widget was added *because* Qt had no
>text
>rendering and we needed a way to show the score in the tetris game. So
>yes, it
>pre-dated text rendering, but there's a causal relationship.
>
>In any case, I'm all for feature completeness and capturing the desktop
>experience in QML. Therefore, I support this change. Yet, I have to
>insist
>that we hear from Lars before accepting it.

I've discussed this with Paul before, and we agree that feature parity
between widgets and Qt Quick Controls is extremely important.

But I think Frederik has a good point. We try to get away from abbreviated
names in Qt, so let's give at least the QML type a proper (non
abbreviated) name.

Cheers,
Lars