[Development] Qt5 combined source package - Perl dependency

BRM bm_witness at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 26 19:06:34 CEST 2013

Having participated in the discussion on the Interests list...

Aside from what Andre' said...

Not everyone using the non-git source deliveries (e.g. the ZIP file on the website) can install anything they want on their computers.
Yes, we may see it as a difficiency in their organization, but it nonetheless one that they have to work with.
Qt4 worked for them since they didn't have to have anything other than Visual Studios under Windows to build it.
Qt5 does not since they need PERL at the very least; Ruby and Python if they want WebKit.

>> For people building from git on Windows, the Perl problem will disappear
>> in the moment the msysgit project decides to update the outdated Perl
>> version it ships (currently 5.8 or so, which currently has problems with
>> syncqt). This would make Perl an ideal candidate.
>
>I doubt that waiting for a new Perl version in msysgit will solve that.
>Last time I was interested in building Qt with msysgit's Perl, the
>issues with syncqt where caused by differences in handling paths, esp.
>drive roots. See commit 6375cbf99a54bf222bceb287fd110a7de6550159 in
>qtbase for details.

The people in question are not getting the source from git.
They do not have msysgit installed.
They are getting the compressed archive of the source for the release and building from that.
And that is where the issue comes in; and using the releases is insufficient as they need to customize the build for their needs based on the build configuration options alone, i.e. no source changes.

This is a request only for "fixing" those compressed source archives that accompany the releases.
The question comes down to: How easy does the Qt Community want to make it for people to use those releases?

The answers have come down to:
1. Fix syncqt to not require PERL (long term)
2. Fix the compressed archives by running syncqt before making them. (short term)
3. Do nothing, and leave developers/users to fend for themselves when their organization doesn't comply. (current)

I can see the points on both sides, and personally don't have a stake in the issue.
But I do think we should do something.

$0.02

Ben