[Development] QtSC: Scene Graph discussion

Alan Alpert 416365416c at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 20:12:00 CEST 2013

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 2:05 AM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
> On 2 August 2013 09:42, Sletta Gunnar <Gunnar.Sletta at digia.com> wrote:
>>

>> > The audience may not need it, but I would. :-) "less pressing" means it
>> > is not high priority for you, but contribution is welcome?
>>
>> 1 makes it possible for anyone to do 2-4 outside of Qt, and unless there
>> are convincing arguments why they should be there in Qt, I don't think they
>> should be there.
>

> I really hope this is not equivalent to that only QtQuick/QML is meant to be
> supported in the Qt Project. We still have QtWidgets maintained inside the
> Qt Project for good. I really hope the good old way of developing
> applications with C++ without the QML interpretation and higher layers will
> still be available.

The good old way is still provided with the good old widgets using the
good old rendering pipeline. As you said that's still being maintained
in a separate module, it doesn't strictly need to share any rendering
infrastructure with other UI approaches even inside Qt.

QtWidgets and QtQuick are both excellent and specialized tools for
building different styles of UI. Nothing's changing for good old UIs,
but you can't expect a completely new framework for a completely
different use case to behave in the exact same 'good old way'. That
just makes it harder for the target audience to use it in the
'value-pending new way' because of the overhead of supporting extra
use cases.

--
Alan Alpert