[Development] Qt Hebrew

Andre Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Fri Feb 1 20:15:14 CET 2013

Op 1-2-2013 17:41, Genghis Khan schreef:
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 09:26:24 +0000
> Knoll Lars <Lars.Knoll at digia.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 31, 2013, at 4:13 PM, Genghis Khan <genghiskhan at gmx.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I would like to initiate a new group <http://qt-project.org/groups>
>>> called "Qt Hebrew" for Hebrew speakers, where new and potential
>>> Hebrew speaking contributors to Qt and to Qt software will be able
>>> to join and to share their point of views on translations and
>>> report issues concerning to RTL (Right to left) alignment in
>>> software.
>> Sure, local groups are always welcome.
I disagree. At least where there are forums attached to the group. There
should be a real need for a group with a dedicated forum to be created.
That means that a community of some mass can be expected to make use of
it. Also, there needs to be capacity to moderate the forum in question.
I don't think we currently have a moderator in the team that speaks Hebrew.
>>> Due to a severe and deliberate depression of access for new Hebrew
>>> speaking contributors to Free Software projects, by certain entities
>>> and personalities, I find the need of such group very important.
>> At least from the Qt Project perspective there is no such thing as
>> trying to keep certain groups/nationalities away. We're a technical
>> project and open to everybody who shares our interest in Qt and
>> related technologies.
> Yes, of course. The purpose of another FOSS group is to be a safe
> heaven to newcomers or an opposition to current depressors at FOSS
> amongst Hebrew speakers.
Come on, please. Don't make unfounded accusations into the wild like
this. Either tell us what you mean (where do you see such "opposition"
and "depression"?) or don't bring it up at all. Notably: do you see such
problems inside the Qt community?

>>> I would like the administrator or on of the administrators to be
>>> Diego Iastrubni who is translating for KDE, who has a healthy
>>> approach with translations against daily communications and is
>>> welcoming.
>> Have you talked to him about it? I know Diego since a long time, and
>> he would certainly be a good person to lead the group.
> No, not yet. Once a group will be created I will ask Diego to join.
> Since Diego is a busy person, I did not want to bother him due to not
> knowing whether a group will or will not be created.
>
> Thank you.

Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. You can apply for new groups
through the proper channels, and you can't expect us to just add
somebody that you have not even spoken to yet as a moderator for you.
You can apply for a new group on qt-project.org as soon as you gain
enough points. See the http://qt-project.org/ranks page for details.
Decisions on what groups are created and who is to moderate them are not
taken in this list.

André