[Development] Bug management and jira workflow

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at digia.com
Tue Jul 23 15:21:55 CEST 2013

Tirsdag 23. juli 2013 14.03.48 skrev Mitch Curtis:
> It's good that this stuff is being discussed. :)
>
> On 07/23/2013 01:25 PM, Jedrzej Nowacki wrote:
> >   - Who can prioritize bugs?
> >
> >      - whoever ask
> >      - we will create a special group in jira
> >      - approvers should be in the group by default
> >
> >     Rationale: We do not have man power and we need help. We do not expect
> >
> > anyone to destroy our precious bugs reports or play “ping pong” with a
> > priority.
>
> However, I think that very few people will click the little "?" help
> icon when assigning a priority to a bug they're creating. The reason I
> say this is that most of the bugs created go without any markup (which
> means code turns into a mess, text dumps aren't wrapped within a scroll
> area, etc.), the help for which is available through that same "?" icon.
> On the other hand, I doubt many users would be interested in requesting
> these rights (and very few - hopefully none - of those would misuse it),
> so it probably won't be an issue.

We discussed about the dangers as well. Maybe it makes sense to elaborate a
little.

Abuse means you lose you rights. Someone will notice quite quickly. We expect
good judgement from everyone here. Of course there will be corner cases, but
that's already the case, so the issue of "what's the right priority" stays
unchanged.

The hope is that we can do "bug triaging days" on a regular basis involving
everyone interested. For the Oslo (and lately Berlin) office it has worked to
spend Tuesdays to work with incomming bugs (see definition of "triaged bugs"
in the first mail). The main goal is to identify real release blockers that
need to be fixed quickly.