[Development] Disabling exception support in QtCore?

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Oct 1 22:28:53 CEST 2013

On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 12:20:29PM -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Since we decided to roll back support for exceptions in our container classes,
> the only thing that currently needs exception support is the mainloop allowing
> std::bad_alloc through.
>
> Is it worth it?

Given that hoping that std::bad_alloc is thrown when expected and hoping
that there's something that can be done about it when caught are rather
futile exercises on common systems, keeping exception support only for that
purpose does indeed not appear to be overly reasonable. So I am tempted to
say "not worth it".

> Should we disable exceptions in QtCore?

Perhaps... do we have numbers how much the gain would actually be, say,
for code size?

Andre'