[Development] DNS resolver docs for Linux/OSX

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 06:35:42 CEST 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> On quarta-feira, 16 de outubro de 2013 09:28:10, Mandeep Sandhu wrote:
>> > "My friend told me you can't walk with a basket ball, but I tried and it
>> > worked just fine"
>>
>> Well, if the friend told me that you can't walk with a basketball
>> because there's a chance that it might slip from my hands causing me
>> trip over, then _that_ would be helpful, but just the statement alone
>> doesn't help much!
>
> The point is that you're supposed to bounce the ball on the floor while playing
> basketball. You're only allowed two steps and then you have to pass or throw
> the ball.
>
> If you do walk with it and the referee doesn't see it, you may get away with
> it. But don't assume you'll always get away with breaking the rules.

Oh like that! Yes, then it makes sense, though in this case the author
of the README did not bother to explain as to _why_ it won't work.

Programs like nslookup and host too work with user specified
nameservers. Though on checking their source I found that they use the
functions provide by bind (ISC*) for dns resolution and not the libc
provided ones.

Leaving this really old README, I haven't any other reference about it.

-mandeep