[Development] Port QT 5 to Haiku

Giovanni Mugnai musical777 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 02:45:49 CEST 2013

Hi,

I’m writing here as Haiku’s user and also as happy user of Qt apps, on
various platforms.
Me, like a lot of other users, we also use Qt apps on Haiku (the
Operating System)
For those which doesn't know Haiku, a link is worth a thousand words :-)

http://www.haiku-os.org

As i've mentioned also Haiku, has the "honor" to run Qt software:
currently we have the Qt 4.8.5 available, and this port was originally
started by two developers ( Qt for Haiku on Gitorious:
http://gitorious.org/ qt-haiku ) and (
http://qt-haiku.ru/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=67
)
But the point is, despite the fact that we can properly execute also
interesting apps (eg Scribus, Qbittorent, Qupzilla, to mention some of
the many), at the moment the Qt port on Haiku is not featured complete
(eg miss phonon) and is buggy in the QtWebKit part (
https://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/port_newer_qtwebkit )
Qt can help Haiku to have more software available, until more
developers will come to start develop more native applications (
http://lebuzzin.wordpress.com/2013/08/10/will-haiku-become-hicutie )

I’m writing here, since to me and some other Haiku users, we’d like to
find a programmer/expert developer able to fully port the latest
version of Qt 5 on Haiku. With “fully port” we mean to port the Qt 5.x
in a perfect way: complete of any components (eg shared memory, phonon
and with the latest revision of QtWebKit) and bug free.. A first class
port.

We’re also disposed to start a fund raising to pay someone.
If someone is interested to do an attempt, or to give some help/hints,
is welcome, and can also refer to this page:
Dev sought for Qt porting (
http://lebuzzin.wordpress.com/2013/09/27/dev-sought-for-qt-porting/ )
or post on the Haiku-Dev mailing list.

Thank you for the attention.