[Development] Port QT 5 to Haiku

Rutledge Shawn Shawn.Rutledge at digia.com
Thu Oct 17 11:05:02 CEST 2013

On 17 Oct 2013, at 2:45 AM, Giovanni Mugnai wrote:
> I’m writing here, since to me and some other Haiku users, we’d like to
> find a programmer/expert developer able to fully port the latest
> version of Qt 5 on Haiku. With “fully port” we mean to port the Qt 5.x
> in a perfect way: complete of any components (eg shared memory, phonon
> and with the latest revision of QtWebKit) and bug free.. A first class
> port.

That sounds like a worthwhile goal, but here are a couple of details I can think of:

- Qt Multimedia is not based on phonon anymore.  But of course you can probably get the new version working.

- You should probably use Qt WebEngine instead of the existing webkit.  But there are other things to do first anyway, so by the time you get there it should be quite mature.  http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2013/09/12/introducing-the-qt-webengine/

- OpenGL is quite important to Qt nowadays, but I see in your FAQ that Haiku often falls back to VESA drivers.  Does it have OpenGL support at all, with the right combination of drivers and hardware, or does it have a fallback software implementation?