[Development] Removing libudev dependency from binary packages?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Oct 21 21:04:22 CEST 2013

On segunda-feira, 21 de outubro de 2013 14:29:27, Koehne Kai wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> In the latest Linux binary packages for 5.2 libQt5Webkit depends on
> libudev.so.0, which isn't installed (or at least not in this version) on a
> lot of distributions:
>
> https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-34176
>
> The easiest fix would be to configure Qt with -no-libudev / remove libudev
> headers etc from the build machines. Anyhow, it seems also other Qt modules
> use it if it's available, namely Qt5SerialPort, libqgtk2,
> libqevdevtableplugin, libqevdevtouchplugin.so, libqevdevkeyboardplugin.so,
> libqevdevmouseplugin.so, libqevdevtabletplugin.so .
>
> Can anyone in the knowing clarify how important libudev is for them? What
> will break if we don't link against libudev anywhere (like we did with
> 5.1.1)?

The evdev plugins might be all disabled in the build, if necessary. People
developing embedded devices where those plugins are relevant should be
building from sources.

But what distributions are those that don't have libudev.so.0?

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/hotplug/udev.git/tree/Makefile.am
LIBUDEV_CURRENT=13
LIBUDEV_REVISION=2
LIBUDEV_AGE=13

That's libtool speak for 0.13.2. The soname has not changed.