[Development] Removing libudev dependency from binary packages?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Oct 22 00:18:29 CEST 2013

On segunda-feira, 21 de outubro de 2013 23:07:25, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>  - libqgtk2: fix, it doesn't need libudev
>
> The fix for libqgtk2 can probably be:
> linux: QMAKE_LFLAGS += -Wl,--as-needed

Can anyone check if the other plugins linking to QtPlatformSupport also have
the udev dependency?

The fix for platforms other than Linux is to split QtPlatformSupport into
multiple libraries, one per purpose. At the very least, one library per
*external* dependency.

Or simply remove the library and let the few files that each plugin needs be
compiled multiple times (this would also require moving the wayland plugin
back into qtbase). Not a solution for 5.2, I guess.

We may want to investigate turning on --as-needed everywhere. I've been
building Qt with that flag for years. However, it might introduce problems
related to building a new version of Qt when an older version is already
present and installed, even though we are apparently already doing what we
need to do (pass --rpath-link).