[Development] Removing libudev dependency from binary packages?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Oct 22 20:00:21 CEST 2013

On terça-feira, 22 de outubro de 2013 15:51:56, Philip Ashmore wrote:
> Sounds like you need a generic plug-in framework that allows you to ask
> for a "udev" component that you ask for an IUDev interface.
>
> Oh wait, I've written one, called v3c-dcom, available in SourceForge.

We have it too: it's QLibrary and our plugin framework. If you use
QLibrary("udev"), it will look for libudev.so.

The difference is that we need to look for two different versions, which have
two different interfaces (albeit very similar). If they were radically
different, we'd have to abstract via a plugin, like we do for the Connman and
NetworkManager backends to the bearer manager in QtNetwork.

> Does Qt/Digia have a policy for integrating third-party libraries as
> free for non-commercial use, and with a part payment to third party
> library vendors to commercial customers?

All third-party libraries must be at most as restrictive as our own licenses.
Therefore, no libraries with terms restrictive like "free for non-commercial
use" can be allowed.

Moreover, we try to limit the copyleft libraries to specific modules.

> Sounds like an incentive to open source developers to write for the "Qt
> market" and for customers wanting compatibility and integration-tested
> add-ons.

There's always an incentive for that, though I don't see how that follows from
this topic...