[Development] Removing libudev dependency from binary packages?

Philip Ashmore contact at philipashmore.com
Wed Oct 23 19:07:32 CEST 2013

On 22/10/13 19:00, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On terça-feira, 22 de outubro de 2013 15:51:56, Philip Ashmore wrote:
>> Sounds like you need a generic plug-in framework that allows you to ask
>> for a "udev" component that you ask for an IUDev interface.
>>
>> Oh wait, I've written one, called v3c-dcom, available in SourceForge.
>
> We have it too: it's QLibrary and our plugin framework. If you use
> QLibrary("udev"), it will look for libudev.so.
I didn't know about that - any reason it didn't crop up in this thread?

> The difference is that we need to look for two different versions, which have
> two different interfaces (albeit very similar). If they were radically
> different, we'd have to abstract via a plugin, like we do for the Connman and
> NetworkManager backends to the bearer manager in QtNetwork.
Again, any reason it wasn't proposed in this thread?

>> Does Qt/Digia have a policy for integrating third-party libraries as
>> free for non-commercial use, and with a part payment to third party
>> library vendors to commercial customers?
>
> All third-party libraries must be at most as restrictive as our own licenses.
> Therefore, no libraries with terms restrictive like "free for non-commercial
> use" can be allowed.
>
> Moreover, we try to limit the copyleft libraries to specific modules.
>
>> Sounds like an incentive to open source developers to write for the "Qt
>> market" and for customers wanting compatibility and integration-tested
>> add-ons.
>
> There's always an incentive for that, though I don't see how that follows from
> this topic...
I was thinking about an official plug-in, library or tool repository
(even a list with names, descriptions, prices and urls) that commercial
customers could browse, knowing that the items displayed followed the
same dual licensing model as Qt, so no legal complications down the line.

Qt/Digia could manage the licences for them and pass payments on to the
authors, as in an app store.

The thought came to me when thinking about plugins.

Sorry if it's off topic.

Regards,
Philip Ashmore