[Development] Where and how does Qt define which platforms are supported?

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Wed Oct 23 22:57:44 CEST 2013

On 23 October 2013 22:30, André Pönitz
<andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:

> One point that seems to be missing in these considerations is a clearly
> communicated distinction between "actual state" and "intended state".
>
> The use of "Tier" currently sems to close to "actual" state, and "reference
> platform" close to "intended" state. Unfortunately, that's not fully
> aligned with the expectations of an unsuspecting observer, at least not
> with mine, as a non-native speaker.

+1

Exactly what I was thinking, and I'm a native speaker :-)  There's no
page I can find setting out the "intended state" saying what the
reference platforms are and what the intended tier for the other
platforms are, just what we had for 5.0.  Further confusing things are
the CI supported platforms which you need to get past that cover more
than the reference platforms.  We probably need a better naming
convention and a single page setting out "intended state" at a high
level (i.e. "Windows: support WinXP to Win8 on VS2010 and MinGW"), a
full grid of the "actual state" for each build spec and minor release,
and perhaps the CI supported platforms.

John.

P.S. I was looking for this info myself yesterday, trying to find out
if Solaris is supported to any extent.