[Development] Where and how does Qt define which platforms are supported?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Oct 24 00:40:16 CEST 2013

On quarta-feira, 23 de outubro de 2013 22:30:28, André Pönitz wrote:
> One point that seems to be missing in these considerations is a clearly
> communicated distinction between "actual state" and "intended state".
>
> The use of "Tier" currently sems to close to "actual" state, and "reference
> platform" close to "intended" state. Unfortunately, that's not fully
> aligned with the expectations of an unsuspecting observer, at least not
> with mine, as a non-native speaker.

There's is no intended state.

There are platforms that the Qt project requires contributors to work on,
which are defined per module.

Each platform will receive a tier "certification" at release time, based on
what testing gets done at that release time.

If the Haiku developers want to achieve Tier 2 classification, there will be a
list of things for them to do. If they want to achieve Tier 1 classification,
there will be a bigger list.

The Tier levels are for users to know what they can rely on: does Qt work on
that platform and can I count on it to continue working in the medium term.