[Development] Removing libudev dependency from binary packages?

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Thu Oct 24 13:33:10 CEST 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 10:56:00AM +0000, Koehne Kai wrote:
> > [...]
> > We agreed with Kai on IRC, when discussing this topic, that we would ask the
> > udev mailing list for an authoritative reply unless someone can confirm that
> > on this list just as well.
>
> Actually I just checked the sources, and libudev is licensed under
> LGPL 2.1 or newer. That means AFAIK that we can link against it
> statically in the open source version of Qt, but not in the enterprise
> one ...

the lgpl does not limit how *we* can build and distribute our packages,
because we ship the sources anyway.
the ones who'd have a problem would be our customers.

but why is everyone talking about static linking, anyway? the decision
to ship a copy of the library, and the way it is linked, are orthogonal.
QtAngle demonstrates how to make a fully dynamic version.
QtZlib shows how to fake it.