[Development] Removing libudev dependency from binary packages?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Oct 24 16:28:08 CEST 2013

On quinta-feira, 24 de outubro de 2013 13:46:39, Koehne Kai wrote:
> I just asked, it seems not to be possible:
> http://www.marshut.com/yiqmk/can-apps-ship-their-own-copy-of-libudev.html
>

> So we're back to either moving the libudev dependency to a plugin that
> qtserialport tries to load (huh), we live with the fact that qtserialport
> won't work on some distributions, or we compile it unconditionally without
> libudev support. I don't mind either way ...

Ok, thanks Kai

That answers the part about shipping (static or dynamic). So the only option
is dynamic loading (ugh) or skipping support entirely (also ugh).

PS: None of the systemd developers were in my binary compatibility session
yesterday here at LinuxCon.

PPS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjRAKuis7T8 @ 16:55
"people have heard my complaints about the fact that the Linux desktop is this
morass of infighting and people who do bad things"
"I do hope that the desktop people would just try to work together and work
more on the technology"
Linus started complaining about the problems on the userspace *because* of
udev. See https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/2/303.