[Development] Removing libudev dependency from binary packages?

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gna.org
Sun Oct 27 16:23:05 CET 2013

On 10/27/2013 01:49 AM, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Friday 25 October 2013, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> On sexta-feira, 25 de outubro de 2013 16:01:11, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
>>> I think it is a bit too small to make into a qtlinuxextras library, and
>>> could  we even depend on extras? I think qudev would fit best in qtbase
>>> because udev is also used by evdev which is in qtbase.
>>
>> It's just one header that won't even be used in QtCore. Create it and keep
>> a copy around.
>
> The Joystick/gamepad detection at least would fit like a hand in a glove in
> QDeviceDiscovery, it already has all the libudev logic, it just doesn't detect
> the Joystick input types currently.
>
> It wouldn't be impossible to imagine it also discovering serial-ports, seeing
> that is also handles displays, though qtserialport seems to also read some
> device and vendor names QDeviceDiscovery does not.

Hi,

I've been looking recently at QtSensor, linux-iio[1] and USB HID sensors
(which are supported by linux-iio), if the Linux QtSensor plugin would
be (re)written to use linux-iio, then libudev would be a must-have
dependency here too (directly or through QDeviceDiscovery).

My 2 cents.
Chris

[1] http://wiki.analog.com/software/linux/docs/iio/iio