[Development] StereoViewport for Qt3D

Svenn-Arne Dragly s at dragly.com
Mon Oct 28 22:35:06 CET 2013

Hi,

I've become amazed by the ease of use, flexibility and features in Qt3D,
so first of all I want to thank all of you who have contributed to Qt
and Qt3D.

Secondly, I was missing a stereo option for the default QML Viewport
element, and decided to have a look at the implementation in QGLView to
see if I could port that to the QML Viewport element. Luckily this was
quite easy (thanks to Qt3D being well designed) and I have uploaded the
resulting StereoViewport element to a GitHub repository:

https://github.com/dragly/stereoviewport

This should compile with Qt5.1.1 and the latest master branch of Qt3D.

Now, I'm wondering if this feature should be a part of the original
Viewport element. Should I contribute this into the main Qt3D
repository? If so, what steps should I take before doing this, apart
from those listed in the Qt Contributing Guidelines? I'm for instance
not sure if I might have introduced some bugs or damaged any features of
the original Viewport element. How should I verify that I haven't done so?

By the way, my StereoViewport class is almost exactly the same as the
traditional Viewport class, so if you want to port this back to
Viewport, just search/replace StereoViewport with Viewport in the
stereoviewport.cpp and stereoviewport.h files and you should be good to
go. The rest of the files in the repository are just copies of private
files already in Qt3D that I needed to compile.

Best regards,
Svenn-Arne Dragly