[Development] Qt 4.x and Qt 5 frameworks should use @rpath (QTBUG-31814)

Jake Petroules jake.petroules at petroules.com
Fri Aug 1 23:34:46 CEST 2014

On 2014-08-01, at 04:00 PM, Henry Skoglund <fromqt at tungware.se> wrote:

> On 2014-08-01 21:01, Adam Strzelecki wrote:
>> Well, to be frank there is a simple workaround for that :) Why not
> symlink Qt frameworks at build time, then replace symlinks with real
> copies on deployment step?
>>
>> So the easiest solution would be to symlink Qt frameworks when your
> create app bundle otherwise add /full/path/to/qt when you use
> bundle-less app. No need to mess with DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH.

> Please don't add more file I/O to Qt Creator's build effort, at least
> not until Apple switches to BTRFS, since HFS+ can be a real dog
> sometimes (compared to Ext4 or NTFS).

Please don't exaggerate the performance implications of copying a few frameworks on the first build, and checking a few timestamps on each subsequent build. You'll be waiting quite literally 1000 times longer for make to finish executing. Also, all new Macs have SSDs which greatly accelerates filesystem I/O (even if it were enough to be a concern, which it isn't).

Unless you can benchmark it and prove the average build time increases by more than 400ms by using a copy-frameworks-to-bundle strategy, it's a non issue.

Jake Petroules - jake.petroules at petroules.com
Chief Technology Officer - Petroules Corporation