[Development] Consoles

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Sat Feb 15 20:28:28 CET 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 8:15 PM, Pau Garcia i Quiles
<pgquiles at elpauer.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM, Joshua Kolden <joshua at crackcreative.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to add my vote and reiterate this as a valid target for Qt.
>> Consoles are becoming media centers, and a new discreet type of 'device'
>> just like a tablet or phone.  Although the scope of functionality of these
>> devices is still being worked out I think we can expect a pretty clear set
>> of non game uses.  In addition to non game functions like media playing we
>> already see, I'm sure we can expect features like Home & Office control,
>> info displays for system monitoring, interactive advertising, and other
>> applications that require fewer interaction points and a more 'lean back'
>> experience in the near future.
>

> I'd like to add to that list: home automation, baby monitoring (yes, really:
> while you are playing, if your baby starts crying, you would see a window
> open and see video/audio), video subscription services (like Netflix),
> videoconferencing (XBox + Kinect), remote medical diagnose (again, XBox +
> Kinect + maybe some other more specialized device), etc

Do you have some market stats how much they are used?

I mean, I would not personally go for it because I think there are
simpler ways to achieve that, but I am not blocking anyone to go for
it if they wish. I agree that it is better if Qt is available on as
many platforms as possible.

In addition, if Qt3D turns out a success and widely scoped, I think it
would be even a more fantastic idea for the far future.