[Development] Branching scheme & bugs

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Tue Oct 14 09:20:57 CEST 2014

Yes: http://qt-project.org/wiki/Branch-Guidelines

> 2. Where do bug fixes go? I talked to Peppe regarding this, and according to him, bugs should be committed to branch of the version the bug first manifested itself. Is this correct, as to my knowledge the 5.3 branch is read-only?

No, 5.3 is still open, so you can submit bug fixes there (*).
And yes, in general, ordinary bugfixes should land in the lowest open
branch where those bugs manifest.

At this time this means 5.3, 5.4 or dev, because other Qt 5 branches are
closed. Periodically the branches are merged (going up), so in a couple
of weeks all other higher-versioned branches will get the fix.

Qt 4 has a different policy -- it does not accept any new feature, and
bugfixes can land there if and only if
1) the bug has already been fixed somewhere in Qt 5
2) the bug does not exist in Qt 5

> 3. Where do new features go?

dev branch.

(*) it just has limited staging, i.e. only Oswald can stage. Be sure to
add him to the reviewers once your patch got approved.

HTH,
--
Giuseppe D'Angelo | giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com | Software Engineer
KDAB (UK) Ltd., a KDAB Group company