[Development] Deprecating modules with 5.5

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 02:39:17 CET 2015

On Friday 06 February 2015 01:19:17 Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Friday 06 February 2015, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> > On Friday 06 February 2015 00:15:48 you wrote:
> > > About QtWebEngine, do you know what system libraries you have problems
> > > with it duplicating? I think we can configure most of it in the build
> > > system and already follow the Qt build settings for some that are
> > > usually shipped with Chromium.
> >
> > The real answer is simple: all of them. We do our best to avoid embedded
> > libraries (and yes, we sometimes fail to do it, and that's a bug for us).
> >
> > If I where to start at some place I would choose V8 and ffmpeg, but the
> > real thing is simply all of them.
>
> Those would be the last I would even think of separating. FFMpeg is a
> library that refuses to stabilize or even make releases forcing everyone to
> fork it and keep a internal copy, and V8 is tied to specific versions of
> chromium. This should also be no different from javascriptcore duplicated
> by webkit GTK and QtWebKit in Debian.

I do understand that it's a pain to maintain an app with a library that does
not has a stable API/ABI, but it's also a pain to maintain packaged code that
embeds it.

If ffmpeg can't be unbundled then sadly that's enough a reason not to ship
QtWebEngine in Debian. It's not strange to have CVEs in ffmpeg, and having
different copies (system and embedded) doesn't really helps. Not to mention
that we would be having two teams maintaining the same code...

I don't know the status of V8 with respect to security issues, but definitely
something that needs unembedding non the less.

> I was more thinking of common stable libraries like fontconfig, jpeg, zlib,
> webp and udev, which I believe we have already fixed.

I have not checked QtWebEngine that far, but those would be great news :)

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/