[Development] Request to delete libibusplatforminputcontextplugin.so from qtbase

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at theqtcompany.com
Fri Jul 17 21:54:49 CEST 2015

Can you explain what the advantage of moving it out would be?

The ibus input context was originally developed by me when we ported from Qt 4 to Qt 5. I tried to implement it with a minimum set of dependencies. It's IMO still important to have in the qtbase tree for several reasons:

* We need at least one input context to use and test against (on Linux) when developing Qt further. Not having the plugin in qtbase will lead to us not testing IMEs on Linux anymore, something I really want to avoid.
* The license is more flexible (LGPL/commercial dual licensed) on qt-project.org, and thus more suitable for some of our commercial customers as well
* As Sune said, the platform plugin headers are not stable, so having it in tree will give you a better chance of keeping things in sync with Qt releases
* The IMEs for pretty much all non Linux platforms reside in qtbase. Why should we handle Linux differently (except for the fact that there's still a multitude of IMEs on Linux :/ )

Ideally, I would prefer if things went the other way round and we would also get plugins for other popular IMEs on Linux moved into qtbase.

Thanks,
Lars

On 17/07/15 18:26, "development-bounces+lars.knoll=theqtcompany.com at qt-project.org on behalf of Sune Vuorela" <development-bounces+lars.knoll=theqtcompany.com at qt-project.org on behalf of nospam at vuorela.dk> wrote: