[Development] Future of Qt Quick 1 in Qt 5

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Fri May 8 14:44:53 CEST 2015

Frederik Gladhorn schreef op 8-5-2015 om 14:39:
> Hi,
>
> I think the dust has settled quite a bit and the declarative module is
> becoming better by the day. We have seen it evolve and the new Java Script
> engine is running smoothly (and actively worked on, sadly it will have one
> known crasher in the 5.5 beta release which has been fixed in the mean time,
> so it should be good for everyone with the 5.5 RC).
>
> One question is if there is any reason to maintain Qt Quick 1 in the future.
> It adds burden on maintenance, needs to be patched regularly to move with
> changes in qtbase etc.
>
> Since KDE moved over the Plasma desktop to Qt Quick 2 (on which I'm writing
> this email), I feel confident that the time has come to move everyone over.
> For the no opengl acceleration use case, we provide the Qt Quick 2D Renderer
> as backend. (https://blog.qt.io/blog/2015/01/22/introducing-the-qt-quick-2d-renderer/)
>
> In short, is there any reason not to remove Qt Quick 1 from Qt 5.6?

Yes, there are reasons. Qt Quick 1 is the entrancepoint to moving your
Qt 4 Application to Qt 5. In our case, we are using Quick 1 exactly
because it uses QPainter based rendering and not openGL. We are
rendering the scenes on a printer. Using Quick 1, that is easy. Using
Quick 2, that is basicaly not doable without either reimplementing the
elements you want to render or doing other major work.

So please, no. Don't remove Quick 1 before Qt 6.

André