[Development] Future of Qt Quick 1 in Qt 5

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at theqtcompany.com
Fri May 8 15:53:45 CEST 2015

On Friday, May 08, 2015 02:44:53 PM André Somers wrote:
> Frederik Gladhorn schreef op 8-5-2015 om 14:39:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think the dust has settled quite a bit and the declarative module is
> > becoming better by the day. We have seen it evolve and the new Java Script
> > engine is running smoothly (and actively worked on, sadly it will have one
> > known crasher in the 5.5 beta release which has been fixed in the mean
> > time, so it should be good for everyone with the 5.5 RC).
> >
> > One question is if there is any reason to maintain Qt Quick 1 in the
> > future. It adds burden on maintenance, needs to be patched regularly to
> > move with changes in qtbase etc.
> >
> > Since KDE moved over the Plasma desktop to Qt Quick 2 (on which I'm
> > writing
> > this email), I feel confident that the time has come to move everyone
> > over.
> > For the no opengl acceleration use case, we provide the Qt Quick 2D
> > Renderer as backend.
> > (https://blog.qt.io/blog/2015/01/22/introducing-the-qt-quick-2d-renderer/
> > )
> >
> > In short, is there any reason not to remove Qt Quick 1 from Qt 5.6?
>
> Yes, there are reasons. Qt Quick 1 is the entrancepoint to moving your
> Qt 4 Application to Qt 5.

Absolutely. But you can migrate to Qt 5.5 which has Qt Quick 1 support and
later to 5.6 and onwards.

> In our case, we are using Quick 1 exactly
> because it uses QPainter based rendering and not openGL. We are
> rendering the scenes on a printer. Using Quick 1, that is easy. Using
> Quick 2, that is basicaly not doable without either reimplementing the
> elements you want to render or doing other major work.

This is interesting feedback, I'm curious what the graphics gurus suggest.

I know nothing is optimal when it comes to removals, but I have the feeling
that for Qt to stay competitive, we need to move fast. Maintaining the current
code base is a huge task and we could use more time on getting the quality
level of the parts we care about improved than maintaining things badly.

> So please, no. Don't remove Quick 1 before Qt 6.

Cheers,
Frederik