[Development] Qt Speech in Qt 5.6

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at theqtcompany.com
Fri May 8 14:59:22 CEST 2015

Hello,

I'd like to propose inclusion of QtSpeech in Qt 5.6.

Currently the module implements text to speech on Lin/Win/OS X/Android and
there is a patch for iOS which needs to be re-done but works as proof of
concept.
My only concern is currently the license of speech-dispatcher which is at the
moment used on Linux. They just changed the license everywhere to LGPL, but
this change has not yet been released. That means for the time being the
module would be LGPL only on Linux, we are planning to look into alternative
synthesizers though.

I have some great news in addition to this: Code-Q will help us to improve the
module and work on adding speech recognition to it.

Initially it will be based on pocket-sphinx and developed directly on
codereview.qt-project.org in a branch in
http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtspeech.git/
We hope that even the speech recognition part can be part of the 5.6 release,
but that will have to be decided later.

I'd appreciate code reviews from interested parties, especially if you have
knowledge  in the speech recognition area already. We want to provide a great
API after all.

Cheers,
Frederik