[Development] Future of Qt Quick 1 in Qt 5

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat May 9 17:49:34 CEST 2015

On Saturday 09 May 2015 16:35:20 Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 3:47 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com>
> wrote:Why do people read "remove" as in "you need to stop using it now"?
>
> > When we're saying "remove", we meant only that it's no longer included in
> > the
> > convenience big tarball and in the binary releases. If you still need it,
> > there's still the source version of the last release, which works
> > perfectly.
> >
> > There is no broken backwards compatibility promise and there are no
> > reasons
> > yet to go for Qt 6.
>
> How do you know Qt WebKit from Qt 5.5 is going to work with QtCore from e.
> g. Qt 5.7? IIUC, not being part of the release means it will not be tested
> or even compiled/autotested by CI

QtWebKit is one of the few modules that doesn't use the private Qt API. If it
stops working, we've probably broken applications in general. Being in the CI
is not a requirement for it to keep working. If it were, we'd have to keep all
of KF5, Qt Creator and almost every single useful application in it.

That's impractical. The solution is to do a good job at the other modules. So
you'll have to trust us not to break applications.

How will we know if we do? We should test every now and then and we'd
appreciate bug reports too.