[Development] Future of Qt Quick 1 in Qt 5

Thomas McGuire thomas.mcguire at kdab.com
Mon May 11 13:11:28 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 11.05.2015 12:00, André Somers wrote:
> Simon Hausmann schreef op 11-5-2015 om 09:21:
>>> What they basicaly did was reimplement the Quick elements they were
>>> using, if I understood it right from an earlier time I read that blog,
>>> and then solve all kinds of issues with rendering that were already
>>> solved inside Qt itself... So, it comes down to implementing the
>>> elements of Quick 1 on your own again for the elements you need, or
>>> something close to it. It is what I called "major work" in my first
>>> reply. And indeed: I guess doing this requires heavy use of private API.
>>> So far, QML and Quick are not all that friendly for C++-side extensions...
>> This doesn't match my understanding of what they have done at all. I
>> understand their article as having basically "visited" all items in the scene
>> and having had to use private API to access the data so that they can
>> implement printing outside of Qt Quick, but still using standard Qt Quick
>> elements.
>>
>> But perhaps I misread it. What is your understanding after re-reading it?
>
> Ok, indeed, you're right. They didn't re-implement the actual items,
> they "just" reimplemented everything needed in those items to render
> them. Indeed: visiting each item and then figuring out how to render it
> completely from scratch. But they only did that for a handfull of items,
> and not taking into account all possibly relevant properties because
> they didn't use them as much.

Yep, correct. We pretty much only needed Text, Rectangle and Image for
our usecase, and indeed didn't bother with many properties such as
Image.TileMode.
Certainly not a very general solution, though it works nicely for us.

Regards,
Thomas
--
Thomas McGuire | thomas.mcguire at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
KDAB (Deutschland) GmbH & Co KG, a KDAB Group company