[Development] Introducing Qt Gamepad, a new qt-labs project

Nichols Andy Andy.Nichols at theqtcompany.com
Wed May 13 10:00:07 CEST 2015

On 13 May 2015, at 01:04, Christian Gagneraud <chgans at gna.org<mailto:chgans at gna.org>> wrote:

Any chance QtGamepad would provide support for devices like the SpaceNavigator
(3D mouse) [1]? I recently posted a question about this on this mailing list
[2].
These 3D mice send events for translation and rotation around all 3 Axis,  I
don't know how well they fit with gamepads. Accdording to [3] it seems to fit in
terms of events, the only exception is that the space navigator requires it's
own protocol handler [4]

Krys.

[1] http://www.3dconnexion.eu/products/spacemouse/spacenavigator.html
[2] http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/interest/2015-April/016294.html
[3] http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt-labs/qtgamepad.git/tree/src/plugins/gamepads/evdev/qevdevgamepadbackend.cpp
[4] http://sourceforge.net/p/spacenav/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/libspnav/

I have a one of those 3dconnexion SpaceNavigator’s as well, but it definitely doesn’t make sense in the Qt Gamepad module, as it is intentionally limited to just Gamepad devices instead of a generic input device framework.  I will say that if you are interested in using the SpaceNavigator with Qt there was actually support for using it in the original Qt3D (1.0) release and possibly the 4.8 version.  It is not in the current Qt3D release (and I don’t think it should be either), but you could pull out the removed code in Qt3D 1.0 and possibly make it into its own module or library for use in applications where it makes sense.

Regards,
Andy Nichols