[Development] QTextStream::readLine(0) is an ambiguous overload in 5.5

Smith Martin Martin.Smith at theqtcompany.com
Mon May 18 11:54:31 CEST 2015

When I'm reading code and I encounter a function call with parameters, if I am not familiar with that function, I look at its documentation. First I look at the signature. If it contains a non-const reference, I know the parameter can be modified. I read the function documentation to see if it is meant to be modified.

What is required inside the function if a pointer is used instead? Is the function required to test the pointer for nil and return in an error state or report an error? That doesn't happen with a reference.

martin