[Development] Fwd: QTextStream::readLine(0) is an ambiguous overload in 5.5

Andreas Aardal Hanssen andreas at hanssen.name
Mon May 18 12:10:51 CEST 2015

>  When I'm reading code and I encounter a function call with parameters,
> if I am not familiar with that function, I look at its documentation. First
> I look at the signature. If it contains a non-const reference, I know the
> parameter can be modified. I read the function documentation to see if it
> is meant to be modified.
>
> What is required inside the function if a pointer is used instead? Is the
> function required to test the pointer for nil and return in an error state
> or report an error? That doesn't happen with a reference.

Hi Martin :-).

IMO Qt's first level of helpfulness is its API. The code should be
self-explaining and self-documenting if possible. Then, if you cannot
figure out what a function does, Qt provides first class documentation.
Which is why QList has append and prepend instead of push_back and
push_front :-).

bool ok = false;
int foo = variable.toInt(ok); // need doc
int foo = variable.toInt(&ok); // dont need doc

Again though, this is procrastinating. Unless something significant has
changed in C++ the last 10 years with regards to pointers and references
I'd just continue sticking to what has always been the convention.
Otherwise going through all Qt's api and changing it from pointers to
references would be required. IMO.

--
Andreas Aardal Hanssen