[Development] New Module for Serial Buses

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gna.org
Thu May 28 08:41:11 CEST 2015

On 27/05/15 03:04, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 May 2015 15:47:04 Simon Hausmann wrote:
>> My first suggestion is to give the module a better name. "Bus" is an
>> overloaded term with many meanings and it is IMO too close to our "DBus"
>> module. Why not go with what your first sentence in the email used:
>>
>>      "We’d like to create a new Qt module for serial buses"
>>
>> Call it the Qt module for accessing serial buses, QtSerialBus :)
>
> Agreed, but why can't this be an extension of QtSerialPort?
>
> QtSerialPort is not about just 9-pin connectors and UART, since it does
> support serial over USB too.

Maybe, but at the end of the day, a serial port is just a serial port
(over USB or not), you still end up with a "9-pin connector" on one end
and a TTY interface on the other end (talking UNIX).

There are as well virtual serial ports and serial ports over network
too. And I'm not talking about the generic TTY thingy, I'm talking about
the "9-pin connector" devices.

My 2 cents.