[Development] [OS X] next Qt 5.6.0 question : Freetype (building with -fontconfig)?

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Mon Mar 21 23:04:23 CET 2016

On Monday 21 March 2016, René J. V. Bertin wrote:
> Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > If the right one is freetype, it looks like it didn't disable font gamma-
>
> It is.
>
> > correction. We usually disable that when using freetype, since they don't
> > have stem darkening, and thus gets must paler text-colors when fonts are
> > antialiased.
>
> Do you disable it in the Freetype code, or in the Freetype fontengine?

No, it is a technically a platform setting in Qt for our font-rendering gamma.
When I first fixed the issue of pale text colors on Linux with Qt5, I just
forced the gamma value for the xcb-plugin to 1.0, but when freetype support
was added for Windows, there was also added another way of disabling font
gamma correction when freetype was used on Windows. Something similar could
potentially be missing for OS X, which is why I commented on the color.

Regards
`Allan