[Development] Qt 5.9's new garbage collector documentation? + root_ptr

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jul 14 17:38:22 CEST 2017

On sexta-feira, 14 de julho de 2017 05:06:14 PDT Phil Bouchard wrote:
> > Except for the fact that no browser would ever download and execute
> > untrusted binaries like that.
> >
> > The closest is Native Client (NaCl).
>
> You force that Javascript executable (".jex" file) to run inside some
> embedded virtual machine with restricted access to the system.

Virtual Machines (protected by hardware) run operating system kernels, not
simple executables. And it has a non-negligible memory overhead, since it
needs to do its own virtual paging table management.

Please read up a little on a subject before you make such an outlandish
suggestion.

> >> Because let's face it: WebGL is not going anywhere.  It had the slowest
> >> progress I have ever seen!
> >
> > What progress does it need? It needs to implement the OpenGL ES API. Once
> > that is done, they don't need to do anything. All the work is in the GL
> > drivers and GPUs.
>
> Where are the WebGL games then?  We don't need OpenGL ES on x86.

First, some exist. The difficult part in making games with JS is probably not
the GL part, but all the rest, including the code that manages the visible
screen area.

I never said that JS isn't slow -- it is.

And second, standardising on one API (OpenGL ES) has benefits for game makers
and other application deveopers, since they can use the very same on both
desktop and mobile. It's probably of less value for gamek developers since the
interaction is going to be very different from a desktop and a mobile phone or
tablet, but other applications can benefit a lot from OpenGL ES.