[Development] Examples and Demos in qtdoc

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Wed Jun 14 14:15:22 CEST 2017

Hi,

On Wednesday 14 June 2017 13:18:35 Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We recently had a discussion in the Qt Company about how we can improve the
> first use experience of Qt and one important aspect are the examples and
> demos.
>
> We have a lot of examples that are limited by the Qt module they live in,
> for example not making use of ready made buttons in Qt Quick. To allow
> examples to use any Qt module while keeping the build system clean (no
> cyclic dependencies between modules), I'd like to propose using the qtdoc
> module to gather fresh and beautiful examples.
>
> We currently have a few bigger examples already that would fit this category
> and plan to invest more into good looking nice and welcoming examples to
> give new Qt users a positive first impression.
>
> Of course we could create a new repo, but considering that we have an
> existing repo which did contain the demo launcher previously and which is
> ready to be used, I'd propse going with it, while the name is not perfect.
> It's already part of the infrastructure and qt5.git, so this seems like an
> easy way to go forward.

I agree that we need something like this. Ideally we also need support for
git-lfs or some other mechanism for handling large files. Particularly for Qt
3D, getting "nice looking" results often requires HDR textures for environment
maps and often other texture inputs too.

Cheers,

Sean
--
Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Managing Director UK