[Development] Examples and Demos in qtdoc

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Fri Jun 16 11:30:48 CEST 2017

On 15 Jun 2017, at 15:23, Mitch Curtis <mitch.curtis at qt.io<mailto:mitch.curtis at qt.io>> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Development [mailto:development-bounces+mitch.curtis=qt.io<http://qt.io/>@qt-
project.org<http://project.org/>] On Behalf Of Joerg Bornemann
Sent: Thursday, 15 June 2017 9:54 AM
To: Pasi Keränen <pasi.keranen at qt.io<mailto:pasi.keranen at qt.io>>; development at qt-project.org<mailto:development at qt-project.org>
Subject: Re: [Development] Examples and Demos in qtdoc

On 14/06/2017 14:59, Pasi Keränen wrote:

I’m not 100% sure about qtdoc as the repo though. But I can live with it if
that is what is seen as best option by others.

There are two kinds of examples:
  1. Simple examples demonstrating the use of a certain technique.
     Those usually come with detailed source code documentation.
  2. Complex examples demonstrating much of the bling that's possible.
     Those are not source-documented, because writing the docs would be
     too laborious, and who would want to read them anyway.

I believe that examples of category 1 should live in the qdoc repository / in
their respective module repository. Examples of category 2 deserve a
separate space.

The "bigger examples" from Frederik's original mail are category 2. In
Qt4 those were called "demos". There could be a "qtdemos" repo with git-
lfs.

In qtwebengine there's this question bobbing up every once in a while what
to do with the demobrowser example. As an example, it actually needs
source documentation. But it's too big. There are voices that want to remove
it. Instead it could live on in such a qtdemos repo.

+1

That sounds like a good idea.

So documented examples in qtdoc, larger demos (that can also contain lots of image data) in a separate qtdemos repo.

Cheers,
Lars