[Development] right-to-left mode on Mac

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 10:24:09 CEST 2017

Thiago Macieira wrote:

> Actually, it can. The Qt translation contains some extra information, like
> whether the language is R2L and the plural rules. If you don't load the .qm
> file for Qt itself (the qtbase one), you'll have problems.

Yeah, I installed the Hebrew translations and can confirm that launching a Qt app
with the LANGUAGE and LANG variables set accordingly does the trick, at least
for menus Qt renders entirely itself.
The good news is that means one doesn't have to set one's desktop to become
incomprehensible, but it'd still be nice to have a set of en_Mirror translation
files :)

>> Shortcut hints are displayed as "C" instead of "C"
>
> That looks like a Unicode BiDi issue. The  symbol is in the private use area,
> so it has no BiDi flow, but "C" does.

You mean that the text drawing routine would normally obtain additional
information from the text itself whether it should be rendered differently from
the global layout direction? Wouldn't that affect native Mac apps to?

R.