[Development] 32bit linux build of qt5.10.0 w/ webengine

Toan Pham tpham3783 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 18:49:31 CET 2018

Thiago,

I managed to get the build completed by performing these steps:

  1.  Followed your advise on enabling sse2 because it is a
hard-requirement.
  2.  Patched libvpx heavily to disable avx+avx2/sse3+ (see attached patch)
  3.  Patched libyuv (see attached patch)
  4.  Patched qwebengine/src/core/Makefile.gn_run to launch ninja in single
thread - otherwise build w/ terminate by Out-Of-Memory manager.
  5.  Used 32bit native linker even though you recommended a 64bit linker.

Step# 2 and 3 were needed because the compiler I was using was optimized
for pentium4, it wouldn't be able to compile/link-in SIMD instructions
beyond SSE2.

After all that hard work, minimal webengine browser (located at
qtwebengine/examples/webengine/minimal) did not show anything when I
launched it (see attached screenshot).  I also launched the same browser
which worked fine under lxc-ubuntu16.04-32bit; but did not show anything
within the chroot environment of the pentium4 build.  OnPageLoad event of
qtwebengine showed that webpage loaded successfully; so it made me to
believe that this is an issue with qwebenginewidget.  FYI, within the same
build environment, I was able to run QtWebKit from Qt-5.x a few months
back.  Please help if you know what possibly happened to qwebengineview not
rendering anything on the view.

Thank you,

TP